Sunday, January 27, 2008

Burn's Night

We had a very drunken time round at my mate Neil's hoose for a belated Burn's Supper. I worked with Neil at RBS on a few projects and it's great to have him in town for a while as he and his girlfriend Rhianon work their way round the world.

I had dropped off the haggis the day before and it was cooking nicely as Kath and I arrived, wine and whisky in hand. Another ex-RBSer, Ewan was there already with his wife, wrapped about a can of Tennant's Lager no less. We joined in with a Boag's.

Neil toasted the haggis with the Selkirk Grace, but nobody wanted to attempt the Ode to a Haggis... we certainly didn't know more than the first few lines, but we'll practice for next year. The cranachan for pudding must have given me the taste for whisky, because we cracked open the bottle and I took a wee dram. It's not a drink I usually go for, but seeing as it was Burn's night I thought I'd have a wee one. Or two. Or six. We managed to destroy most of Neil's bottle and all but a tiny bit of mine and everyone was suitably merry as 3:00am rolled about. I knew it was time to go when I went to the toilet and found Kath sleeping on the floor - apparently it was nice and cool.

A good night had by all, and a stinking hangover had by me all the next day.

No comments: